If you are having a backpack and didn’t face a zipper issue, then, believe me, you are the luckiest person. I’m writing this article to help you with the query, so stick with me to know how to fix a zipper on a backpack?
If you are tackling this problem and finding the solution, after reading this article, you will feel blessed.
The Zipper problem is so common that every third person is dealing with it. A problem with your most loving backpack will hurt you.
After so many advancements, this problem remained the same as their invention is the same till now, which is “the zipper.”
The zipper is being used in every item and providing ease, but the problem associated with zipper stayed the same till now.
How to fix a zipper on a backpack?
Apart from its size, zipper created some difficulties for people, to sort these problems, some real things can also work like a charm.
To make you clear for every problem, I am going to list some issues associated with zipper and their solution that to how to fix a zipper on a backpack? It’s quite easy, but sometimes you have only the last option, which is to replace the whole zipper.
It is not possible if you are on vacation, so some quick hacks may be useful, so let’s go on and read those hacks:
1. Stuck Zipper
It is by far the most common problem not only for backpack but jackets, pants, etc. When the zipper stuck, it cannot move up and down. Most people apply force to settle it up, but more chances are that it will break.
The first step and easiest way to apply some lubricant can be your way forward. Let’s read about some of the methods which can use to remove the stuck zipper issue.
A pencil is readily available and accessible in-home and outside. A pencil is useful because Graphite pencil has an impressively greasy tip. So take a graphite pencil and rub its tip against the teeth on the zipper.
Along with rubbing, keep wiggling the slider of the zipper. Keep doing it until it aligns itself with the teeth of the zipper.
In case you don’t have a pencil. Try laundry soap. Put a little on the stuck zipper and start wiggling the zipper.
Keep wiggling until it works again, and you can add more lubricant if you think it needs more to set itself align against the teeth of the zipper.
If none of these worked, then you can try washing the backpack. After all the dust particles removed, apply these two tricks again. The lubrication method will work this time for sure.
2. Clenched Zipper Teeth
Sometimes it happens that a zipper may move off from the track and did not seem to be aligned in a straight line.
It is because it may be clenched wrongly. It sounds tricky but don’t worry because the solution is very simple to fix the zipper on a backpack.
You just have to follow these steps:
- Is there any fiber stuck around the zipper? You have to inspect the teeth of zippers carefully in order to solve the problem because this is the most common reason for zippers to get stuck.
- Not a Fabric issue? I mean if there is no issue related to the fabric around the zippers, then you have to closely examine the teeth. It happens mostly when we use the backpack excessively; its zipper starts getting stuck in the fiber, and teeth cannot be connected in a straight line, which causes the zipper to halt its movement. Now grab some tools and fix the teeth until it gets in a straight line. Be careful, don’t put so much force that it could break your zipper.
- None of them? If you are facing the above-mentioned problems then what else? The only thing that remains behind, is the slider. Again take pliers, and compress the slider gently. Keep forcing until it clenches with teeth. That’s it.
3. Pull broke off
It is also a prevalent problem, but don’t worry, the solution to this problem is also very easy.
It happens whenever we are in a hurry, and accidentally we pull out zippers completely.
For this, you need a paper pin, keychain, or a clip. Slide one of this into the pull, which is provided on the surface of the slider.
In case of any emergency, it will work like a charm, but be careful as it can lead to more other problems.
4. Slider Broker off
Sometimes you are having your bad day or unlucky time because the worst you can have is a broken slider.
That is the case where you are not left with any other option but to replace the slider. I know that feeling when you love one backpack and it worth’s more than we think sometimes. Replacing the zipper slider will give a new life to your backpack.
I am not going to leave you like this. Here are some steps you can win a backpack’s life again.
- To replace the slider, you need a zipper replacement kit that is readily available in any grocery store. With the help of a zipper replacement kit, you’ll be able to replace the slider with ease.
- If it is not possible to go to the grocery store now, then you can have an alternate that is pliers with a new slider. Try to pull out the slider with the help of pliers, but be careful to make it not worse.
- First, move the slider down to the end of the zipper and gently detach it with the zipper.
- Then put the new slider and fix it in teeth so it can smoothly run on a straight line of teeth. You have to be sure that teeth are closer when attaching a new slider.
Video Tutorial about “How to fix a zipper on a backpack”
I have some quick tips about backpack zippers, which may help you whenever you face any problem related to the zipper of the backpack.
You may try to avoid these issues by taking extra care of your backpack every time you use, but trust me, you don’t have any idea when the issue will pop out and will become troublesome for you.
- If you are in a hurry, then the higher chance is, you pull the zipper aggressively. Of course, you know it can be stressful later. To avoid this, remove the zipper up or down gently.
- Have patience when you are unzipping your backpack. Otherwise, it can be worse.
- If you find any thread or fiber in the way of the zipper, simply cut it away with sharp scissors. Your zipper will remain safe this way.
How to avoid zipper problems?
Sometimes minor problems can cause so much stress when you are in a hurry or in an emergency situation.
There are some precautionary measures that you should follow for avoiding any problematic situation related to the zipper of your backpack.
1. Careful when handling the bag
When we pack our backpack, sometimes we put extra items than the backpack’s capacity. Then for closing the backpack we have to increase pressure on the zipper, which can cause a problem later.
It will increase your backpack’s weight and can cause damage to backpack like ripping or breaking strap. You will end up nothing but facing trouble.
2. Avoid Zipper-Water Contact
Every backpack is not water-resistant. People who have water-resistant bags are free from this problem.
But zippers are mostly made from metal, which can dry quickly and stuck between the teeth after having slight contact with water.
3. Lubricant for the zipper
If a dry sunny day, try to use a lubricant on the zipper before going out. It will prevent the zipper from getting dirt particles in it and will move smoothly.
How to maintain a backpack to prevent zipper problems?
The backpack zipper problem is often being faced by the people who do things in a hurry.
That’s a common problem. But you can maintain your backpack by preventing these types of issues.
To take care of the backpack, I am going to mention some methods which will help to keep your backpack in a healthy condition that could survive a long time.
1. Wash Regularly
It is a must-do activity for all backpacks owners. Washing your backpack regularly keeps it away from dust and prevents it from other kinds of damages also.
There is a way to wash your backpack. You have to be careful while washing because it can cause damage when you wash it harshly. Always clean it with freshwater and let it dry completely before using it.
When washing your backpack don’t forget to rinse your zipper teeth thoroughly. It plays an important part when it comes to backpack life. After washing teeth, you must use a lubricant to keep its move smooth.
2. Keep it away from moisture
If you have a non-water resistant backpack, then you should keep your bag away from moisture.
It will prevent the zipper from rusting and breaking down later. If you also have other metal parts in your backpack then you need to be very careful.
3. Lubricant the Zipper Regularly
When you store your backpack, remember to lubricate your zipper. It is proper prevention, which helps the zipper runs smoothly.
Conclusion – (How to fix a zipper on a backpack)
So whenever you got any problem with the broken zipper, you don’t have to worry about it. Zipper problem can be so annoying that a person can become frustrated, but remember, it’s a common problem and can easily be solved. Now you know how to fix a zipper on a backpack.
Always try to take care of your backpack, but if you are facing any damage, or to fix a broken zipper consider the above hacks and tips, which can be useful to solve your problem.
Buy high-quality backpacks with a longer durability period because the high-Quality backpacks always have a warranty, and it cannot compromise its standard before time and stays with you for a long time with high performance.